Friday, February 2, 2018

Excitement in Vietnam! Soccer! (Week 17)

Sam sent Sun, Jan 28, 2018
Subject: Excitement in Vietnam! Soccer!
Hello everyone!
Wow, what a week it has been. The whole country has been in excitement lately! Of course as I have already mentioned, Tet is coming up, but on top of that I learned this week that Vietnam is really into soccer! Seriously! This week, the Vietnamese soccer team made it to the finals in an Asian tournament for the first time in history! Everyone was freaking out when they won the semi finals, and they ended up all riding their motorbikes and cars in the streets waving flags and making a ton of noise, including a chant they have that means "Vietnam has no enemies!" It was super exciting, but made the streets a little dangerous, but luckily I don't know of anyone who got hurt. It was also really funny during the game when almost all the shops were either closed, or crowded with people watching the game. Afterwards, they did not win the finals on Saturday, but still, it was an exciting time for them, and hey, they got second.

Well, I think that is enough on soccer. If you would like, you can look up more on that online. I also had another unique opportunity this week. I got to take part in a service project where we helped one of the ward members move. It was also really cool that a few other members came to help, and we even had a nonmember who helped as well! I always enjoy service opportunities, as that is why I am here on a mission.

Things are still going great with our investigators. We currently have four. One, Anh Thanh, is preparing for baptism, and will have his baptismal interview this Saturday, which is super exciting! We are also still meeting all our other investigators, and they are doing well as well. We actually now have two new investigators who I think I have mentioned before, but they are now studying the gospel with us! Actually, we met with one of them today, and taught her the whole restoration of the gospel! She is the investigator who came to church for seven hours, and she seems to really try to prepare for the lessons before she comes. We weren't planning on teaching the whole restoration, but she had read the whole pamphlet on her own and already understood a lot of what we were trying to teach, so next time we are going to teach her the Plan of Salvation. I really love teaching the gospel, and seeing the people who God prepares to be open to it.


The weather is still fluctuating like crazy. Last week started to get warm, so I started to not wear my jacket, yet today I regret only wearing a sweater and not my coat. It is a little funny. I have also eaten with members a lot lately with Elder Danh having limited mobility. I do love the food here, but let me tell you there sure is a lot of rice!
Oh, and self reliance is still going well. This last week, we learned about working with others, and I had them try out a chain making activity. Seriously, I don't know how they do it, but any new activity we introduce they master in seconds. They did really well working together. And then at the end we shared a nice video about our purpose in life and on the Plan of Salvation. Hopefully it touched some of the people in the class.
Alright, I think I have covered most everything from this week. Thank you again to all of you out there encouraging me on my mission, especially my family!
See you all next week!
Elder Watson/ Nghiêm

P.S. Sam wasn't able to find a computer with a working USB when he initially wrote this, but they've been added now! - Darren






No comments:

Post a Comment