Sunday, December 24, 2017

Snow and Halloween fun (Week 6)

Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Hi everyone!
I have had another great week at the MTC! It has been so cool, with Halloween, snowing today, and of course all the things we usually do at the MTC. We got new Le Ocean speaking elders on Wednesday, and that was pretty cool. My district also gets to host again on Wednesday for the incoming elders and sister. We have also finally reached a point where new coming English speaking elders don't leave before us! English speaking elders only stay in the MTC for three weeks, most languages stay for six, and Asian languages and Finnish (I don't know why Finnish is in this category) stay for nine weeks. That means before this week, some people coming in every week end up leaving before us. It is actually fine, all things considered, but it is always kind of funny when an English speaking elder or sister at the end of their third week says "finally I am leaving! I have been here forever!" and then those of us who are there for nine weeks say "you don't even know the meaning of forever." Seriously, if they think three weeks in the MTC is slow, try nine while learning a new language!
Anyways, as mentioned before, we just had Halloween! For Halloween, I wasn't expecting to really do anything, since I am in the MTC, but that night some elders in my residency decided to dress up. I might not have joined in, but one elder offered to dress someone up as an angel with an extra sheet he had. I volunteered. Afterwards, a few of us decided to go trick or treating around the building for fun. The residency has four floors, and we are on the top one. We started on the second floor for some reason, and the elders there really appreciated us dressing up, so they gave us a bunch of candy. Then we went to the first floor with similar results. Things were looking pretty good until we got to the third floor with the Japanese elders who were annoyed at us for making noise. They tried to throw stuff at us, so we made a hasty retreat. Then we went back to our floor and enjoyed our loot. I will attach a photo of most of the trick or treaters below (one person is not in it since he changed out of his costume before we took the photo). Also, I was the only person with a real bag for my candy, since I had it left over from a package from my parents. Everyone else used pillow cases. It really turned out to be a lot of fun, and it was really unexpected.
Now getting back to the more normal part of the MTC, I continue to enjoy my stay here. There is still a lot to do, but the MTC is well organized. Of course the teachers and staff are all good as well as the buildings and usually the food. Although speaking of the food, I think I have mentioned how bad the meatloaf here is. Well, while I didn't enjoy it, I did have to give the MTC credit for serving the "scariest meal" they could for Halloween dinner, the meatloaf. It is edible, but no body actually likes it. Actually, yesterday they had a survey about the food, and pretty much my entire district filled it out with decent marks on the bubble side of the survey (rating things by bubbling in your answer), but when it came to the back side, we all wrote bad comments about the meatloaf. We had one group one we did together where we wrote comments ranging from "please get rid of the meatloaf" to "for the sake of all that is good in this world, don't serve the meatloaf ever again!" In fact, one elder in my district actually wrote a poem about how bad the meatloaf was, saying it was made by and of the devil. His was a little too extreme, but I think you get the point on how much we don't like the MTC meatloaf. As for the other food here though, I actually like most of it, and it is all you can eat. On top of that, there is a large variety of drinks from soft drinks to juice, and there is always a freezer with ice cream sandwiches and similar items in it. I think that is enough talk about food for one week.
Now for the real stuff. I am continuing to work on getting down the language. It sure isn't easy, but I now feel like I can understand the majority of what others say to me, and I feel like I know enough Vietnamese to answer questions. By the way, in the MTC they have something called TRC (No, I don't know what that stands for) where you get to teach a member who speaks Vietnamese a lesson. That has been going well enough, but apparently in your seventh week they try to ramp up the difficulty by having you do it over Skype! It is hard enough to understand them in real life, let alone over a bad sound system online. Well, Elder Morris and I actually did a pretty good job with it, so that is good. Also, something I am really excited for is that since it is hard for Vietnamese people to pronounce English names, we get Vietnamese names! Our teachers apparently already prayed about it together and have selected our names, but they won't let us know what we are until our name tags are made. We were informed of it last week, so hopefully they come in this week. I can't wait to find out what my Vietnamese name means!
Gospel studies continue to go well here. No apostles this week, but we have still had good speakers. On Sunday, we got to hear from the MTC choir director. He is a really good story teller, and he told us a bunch of interesting stories about the people who wrote the hymns, ranging from someone who was blinded as a baby, to W.W. Phelps who put Joseph Smith in prison, but later repented and was allowed to return fully to the church after excommunication. By the way, I did try choir for one week here, but I think that I probably won't continue with it, as I prefer using that time to study from the Book of Mormon. Believe it or not, it is actually hard to find excess time to study on most days, and choir practice is on the two days I get extra time, Sunday and Tuesday (P day). Of course we get one hour of personal study every day, but if I am going to finish my current reading of the Book of Mormon before I leave the MTC, I need every extra moment I can get. For those of you who are curios, I believe I am now around Alma chapter 20,or about halfway through. Also, I have now officially watched all of the MTC exclusive videos. This week we watched one from Elder Uchtdorf, and yes, when the talk was recorded he was not in the first presidency yet. I really have enjoyed all of the MTC exclusive talks, and would encourage anyone who goes to the MTC to watch those before they go to one of the movies they can see anytime like "Meet the Mormons". However, since I have now seen all of the talks, I feel like my district will want to see a movie movie next week, which I guess will be fine. The talks though are just so cool to see since they are directed towards the missionaries. 
I have been taking a lot of photos this week, since my mother keeps telling me she wants to see more photos with me in them. She said considering almost all of my photos I have sent so far are in my residence, she would think I was in a prison cell or something. Well, I now have a lot more photos and will be attaching some of them with this email.


 
By the way, for a more spiritual note for those reading this email, my companion and I recently taught a lesson in TRC comparing the people of Limhi in Mosiah chapters 21 and 22 with the people of Alma in Mosiah chapters 23 and 24. It is really interesting to see how different of responses the two people have when they are put in bondage. I relate it to how we act when we have trials. Are we like the people of Limhi who rely on our own strength, and only approach God when we fail and realize we can't overcome our trials ourselves, or are we like the people of Alma, who approach God from the beginning and who bear their trials with patience and a cheerful attitude? I would like to challenge anyone out there to try to make time to read these chapters and think of how differently they approached their situations, and how God helped them accordingly. And yes, this is something I happened to some across in my personal study recently.
Well, I feel like I have exhausted this week pretty well. Of course there is always more I could write about, but I feel like "what I have written sufficeth me" to quote the scriptures. Thank you all so much for continuing to check in on me and my progress on my mission. I know that what I am doing is truly the Lord's work and that he is looking out for me.
Thank again!
Elder Watson
P.S. I think I mentioned this at the top of this email, but it actually snowed today! It was quite exciting considering I didn't get a lot of that in Arizona. The other elder in my district from Arizona, Elder Hansen, was especially excited to see the snow and was running around like crazy in it. I wasn't running around as much, but I found it really cool and certainly was out in it for a while. Too bad it didn't stick though, but I am hopeful it will snow more in the future and it will stick then. Till next time!
P.S.S. The four photos attached show me next to some of the murals in the new building and by a statue of Samuel Smith, the first missionary. With the murals, I am pretending to be a part of them. The first one is me looking down at Jerusalem with Nephi, wondering how we can get the plates. Then I am sitting with the Brother of Jared as the stones are lit. In the third one, I am gesturing for the children of Israel to keep moving as we cross the Red Sea. That one is my favorite. The final one is me by Samuel Smith, who not only shares my calling as a missionary, but also my name (Samuel Smith Watson). I will also send an additional email with this one with more photos, I am just doing them separately since Gmail won't let you send more than 25MB without using Google Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment