Monday, December 25, 2017

First Week in Vietnam! (Week 10)


Date: Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 10:20 PM (His P-day on Monday morning is our Sunday night)

Hello everybody!

Wow, there is a lot to write about this week, so here goes. Well, I finished up the MTC last week. I won't talk too much about that, but I will say that Thanksgiving was awesome! We got to hear from Elder Bednar that morning, and National Tribute Band came that evening for a performance. We also got to do service by packaging breakfasts for children in need. And of course for Thanksgiving, we got a great lunch! Most of the traditional foods, turkey, mashed potatoes, candied yams, etc... And they had eggnog! I normally associate that with Christmas, but it was still really cool to have!

Now moving on to Vietnam. So I landed here on Tuesday morning last week. It was super exciting. It is obviously very different, but it is such a cool experience. After getting out of the airport, the first thing I realized was how different Asian traffic is compared to American traffic. I guess if it works it works, but they really drive all over! There is a lot of weaving and whoever gets there first forces the right of way. It is a little crazy, but I am starting to get used to it. And actually the craziness had one good side to it, I actually made my first contact through looking really bad on a bike. Some Vietnamese person saw how I was biking and ended up talking with my companion and I about why we were there. I am pretty sure she talked with us because I looked really funny biking in Asia. We told her about how we were volunteers and invited her to our self reliance class, which she actually came to that week. I guess the Lord has all kinds of ways to introduce people to the church, even if it is an odd looking American on a bike in Vietnam.
Back to more of what I have experienced here in Vietnam. I have really enjoyed the food here, it is quite different, but I haven't had anything I didn't like. I even enjoyed baloot ( I am not sure how to spell that) which is essentially an unborn chicken. It has an odd texture, but it tasted alright. I also got to try an Asian fruit called a dragon fruit. It tasted pretty good, but fair warning, it literally turns your poop red! I don't know of any fruits in America that do that!
I have also really enjoyed the feeling of the city. They have a wide diversity of buildings, with influence from all over the world. Most buildings are at least a few stories tall. The sky here is even different, as it is always foggy. Very few blue sky days in Vietnam. My apartment is pretty nice. I am on the twenty first floor of a building and have a nice view of the city below.
The language is difficult, but it is coming along. I have learned that apparently they use the English words ok and byebye quite a bit. Other than that, there is a lot in the language that changes depending on who you are talking to. It also depends a lot on age, and apparently no one here believes I am eighteen! They always ask how old I am and when I say eighteen, they usually laugh and say I am not eighteen! Apparently they think Americans look older than they really are though usually.
Well, I need to wrap this up pretty quick. I don't have as much time to write in the field, but I still tried to get a lot of information out in this email. And I apologize to anyone I didn't get to respond to directly this week. I will try to get something out to you next week! Until then!

Elder Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment