Sunday, February 10, 2019

Now Bring Me Some Figgy Pudding... (Week 65)

From: Samuel Watson <samuel.watson@myldsmail.net>

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018

Merry Christmas everyone!

Well, I was initially going to call this one "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year", but that is too boring... Especially since I have not written a group email in three weeks... So, I will get to figgy pudding in a minute. But hey, for those who are unaware, I am now in my third area. It is called Binh Duong. The d is pronounced more like a y. It is currently the only branch in Vietnam not in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City. Binh Duong is actually a province, not a city. It is really cool. It is a big industrial zone with lots of factories. Most people work at said factories. I can tell the people here are really humble, and kind, and I think there are lots of people here ready to receive the gospel! It is also a nice change of pace from the city life. You can actually hear yourself think out on the street, and you don't have to constantly listen to cars honk their horns! Actually, you didn't hear that as much in the city, more so it was motorbike horns. So is Vietnam. The branch here is small, but the members are very faithful, and I am excited to work with them. My companion here is Elder Quoc. He has been in Vietnam a year and a half. He is really cool, and an excellent cook. He comes from Idaho, and makes some of the best French fries you have ever had! And currently we have a good pool of investigators we are teaching about the gospel. We have one, Chi Hoa, who is getting ready for baptism. She learned a while ago, and then stopped, but came back and said she really wants to be baptized. When meeting with her, she told how she doesn't fully know why, but she had investigated other religions before, but it wasn't until she came here that she felt something. I can tell she really wants to be an active member. We also have Em Cuong, who is really cool. He wants to be baptized, but is under 18, and his parents won't let him be baptized. He is very faithful though and is trying to talk to his parents more about it. He is awesome though! And we have Chi Truc, who learned about the church through English class and recently started learning. She is progressing quite well as we have taught her the Plan of Salvation. She has lots of good questions, and we are excited for her! And we have several other investigators, but I will bring them up another time. Also, we have gotten several new investigators the past few weeks, including two this last week. They have known the missionaries for a while and are really good people. They do charity work to help younger kids get a better education. We got to share about the Plan of Salvation with them, and they want to learn more! But they live in the city, so they will be studying with some other missionaries. Still, we were glad to meet them and help them start learning a bit about the gospel! Things are going well, and we really want to help the branch grow!
 

Speaking of growth, our attendance at activities here has been huge lately! We have around 100 at English weekly, we had 80 come to our Christmas party, and this last week our sacrament went from around 15-20 to 36! With around two thirds of that being nonmembers! The missionaries here are working hard to get more people coming to activities! Also, speaking of English, here comes in the figgy pudding. So, we were teaching about Christmas, and taught everyone how to sing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". Also, I am in the intermediate level now. Well, part of the song talks about figgy pudding, and I told everyone I had never had figgy pudding before. We also mentioned fruit cake as something no one likes, but again, I don't recall eating it before. Well, I didn't get figgy pudding here, but I did get some fruit cake! I actually got a really nice Christmas lunch on Christmas at Al Fresco's, an American restaurant. I got some pumpkin soup, turkey, ham, corn, peas, carrots, potatoes, gravy, and to finish it off some fruit cake. I didn't like the fruit cake much, but I have now tried it! Now if only I could find some figgy pudding... The rest of the meal was great though, and really tasted like an American Christmas.

 
And speaking of Christmas, I love Christmas! First off, as those in Western culture know, Christmas is not just a one-day event, but a month long one! Actually, two if you count the first playing of Christmas music right after Halloween ends... Sorry Thanksgiving, you don't get any songs... Well, the whole season is a great opportunity to share about the gospel, with the whole spirit of giving, and people are just more open to hearing a message! The Christmas party, for example was a great success! Well, we got to share a lot with people about the true meaning of Christmas! And of course, the best part of my Christmas was that I got to call my family back home through Skype! Or I guess Google Hangouts... Our computer at the church was being weird, and Skype was not working properly... But it was great! I really do have the best family in the world! I also got my Christmas package, and somehow they managed to top their last package again! It had a bit of everything, Christmas cards, with family photos (I am actually on my family's Christmas card... Just look for a person about 1 foot tall and made out of fabric...), some fun things like a mini ping pong set and some Zelda collector's stuff, to a bit of candy, to a personalized pillow case with my name on it! And more! It was really nice to get! Well, the Christmas season is almost over, but it is definitely not time to stop sharing the true meaning of Christmas, because that is in the first six letters of it, Christ, and his message is not just for December, but for time and all eternity.

Well, I think I am going to sign off here soon. But just so you know why it took me three weeks to respond, two weeks ago I went to the western part of Vietnam for a charity trip I was unaware they were doing here, and then last week was Christmas, and I did my call home, so no time to write a group email. But I am here this week! Oh, I also started off with great impressions in my area, sporting a very attractive looking cyst! That is when some nice bacteria decide to live inside of your eyelid and make it swell up and irritate you like crazy. You can barely open your eye, it turns red, and sometimes waters up your eye for no reason. I would not recommend getting one... But it was resolved before my call home, so all is well!

Well, this is my sign off. Merry Christmas to all! And to all a happy 2019!

Elder Watson/ Nghiêm

No comments:

Post a Comment