Sunday, November 4, 2018

Families are Key to Everything! (Week 53)


Families are Key to Everything

Samuel Watson

 
Monday October 8, 2018

Hello everyone!

Another quick group email here, but full of lots of information! So lets just say my companion and I beat the mission record for most new investigators in a week! The secret to how we did it? Well, first off, God totally prepares the people and puts them in our path. We have been contacting in all sorts of crazy ways! As in in circumstances where you wouldn't think it would occur. I will give you an example. I may have mentioned this one before, so sorry if it is a repeat. So last Friday I believe, we were pulling in our bikes to our apartment to have our daily nap (everyone naps in Vietnam. The middle of the day, literally no one is out, so we sleep one less hour at night, and take a nap in the day.) and the machine to scan your bike card is broken. We sit there, and a bunch of people start coming in. I talked to the guy next to me for about two minutes, and I ended up getting his number, and set up an appointment! He has not continued learning yet... But it is a perfect example for how we have seen God prepare people. So my companion and I made a goal to look for that one unique contact every day... And it has been working! Anything from a really solid elevator contact (which is really tough, you get about two minutes again), to someone at a cafe who is just ready.



Actually, two of our new investigators, Elder Trung met at a cafe, and he talked to them for quite some time. The husband in particular was really interested in the church. The wife was a little less excited, but agreed to learn too. At some point in the conversation Elder Trung said the guy asked how one would join the church, and his wife tried to say "but honey, your Buddhist!" and the guy whispered something to her that more or less equated to "be quiet!" and he kept talking about it. Anyways that has been one large part of it. The other part is that we have really been focusing on families! Seriously the gospel rings so true with people, especially when we discuss families. Everyone has a family, and it is something central to just about everyone! We have been going around to people with families and sharing with them about how the gospel can bless them, and later meet them to share the Family Proclamation. We ended up with thirteen new investigators this week (the old record was twelve), and all but one were in families! Also, we now have a multigenerational family of five learning, with a man who started learning first, his wife and son, his younger sister, and his mother, who all live together! We visited their house and shared with them, and all agreed to learn more! It has been great seeing how God has blessed us to be able to find and help so many people! Now we just have to do the next step, which is a little harder, getting them to church... Unfortunately in Vietnam, most people work on Sundays... But we are telling them the blessings of the Sacrament, and some of them are going to ask their bosses if they can at least get off Sunday morning! Your prayers for them are appreciated! 


Also, here is Elder Trung's summary of our family lesson. "So we will read through "The Family: A Proclomation to the World" and really highlight on a few things. 1. Each of us is a child of God, with Heavenly parents that love us! 2. Each of us has an Eternal and Sacred Destiny in God's grand Plan of Salvation for us! 3. Families are Central to our Purpose in this Life! 4. All Families are Happier when they Follow the Teachings of Christ! 5. Prayer helps Families have Better Relationships! 6. Through a Temple Families are Forever (your family, and your ancestors)!!!! When we share this with them it is amazing to see how much they agree, and want to learn "what are the teachings of christ?" "what is God's plan for me?" "how can i help my family more?" "How can i be with my family forever?" And It's amazing to see how much the gospel truly testifies of the importance, greatness, and sanctity of families. If any of you don't know the answers to these questions... ASK! it will bless your family! I invite all of you to do the minimum and pray, pray with your family, pray for your family and you will have a happier, stronger, and closer family! That is my promise to you, and that is Christ's promise to you! Christ said "19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name; 20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you. 21 Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed." " He put it in his weekly email today. He also made the following comment: "So let me start by explaining my subject line. Earlier this week i said " Elder Watson and I are like a fine wine, it just gets better with time." And it has been SOOO true. 2 weeks ago we had 4 new people start learning, last week we had 9 new people, and this week we had 13!! It really has been amazing to see the Lord help us so much! So one way we've been finding so many new people has been through families! Not just teaching families, but also just really teaching about how important families are in our lives and in the gospel! So I want to start out by just sharing what we teach about families!" that line actually came before the second one.
So, a few interesting notes. It rained like crazy the other day! 


My family should have a funny photo of me in the cheapest poncho I have ever worn. It literally fell apart at the touch. The sleeve ripped as I put it on. My bag on my shoulder ripped a hole there. It was really bad... So our bike home that day got me absolutely soaked! I swear it rained something like eighteen inches in one day! It also rained hard all day! It would rain for two or three hours, take an hour break, and start again! Streets flooded for sure! Also, I am going to Hanoi today for a two day exchange! It should be cool going back up after over six months! Then back down south again on Wednesday.
 

Well, to sum up families are key to everything! I have such a wonderful family back home who emails me every week. I am not going to lie, I do miss them, and they miss me, but it is only for a short time, just two short years. Then we will be back together and because of the gospel we can be together for eternity! The following statement is so true! "Missionaries leave their families for a short time so others can have a family that is sealed for eternity." And for any missionaries out there reading this, I would like to say, try putting some more focus in looking for families. They are so important, and the foundation of society as a whole. I am grateful for the success God has given Elder Trung and I lately, and I look forward to continuing to work with the people here!

Thank you to all of you out there reading this and for supporting me out here! Have a great week!
Elder Watson/ Nghiem

No comments:

Post a Comment