Sunday, April 22, 2018

Two Hour Bike Rides and a Little Dat Gao (Week 27)

I thought I would start this week's blog with some pictures from a visit to a Vietnam Military History Museum in Hanoi just before my transfer to Ho Chi Minh City. We got there a little late, so we weren't able to go inside the museum, but they had plenty of military artifacts and vehicles to see outside on the grounds. Enjoy!

















Apr 9, 2018

Hello everybody,

This week has been quite interesting. As many of you may know, this weekend was general conference weekend! We got to hear from actual prophets and apostles of the Lord! What an amazing opportunity for all of us here to be able to hear the word of God through his servants. I feel I really learned a lot as I listened to what the Lord had prepared to share with us. I came prepared with questions and feel like they were all answered. It was a great experience. In particular, I like how they focused a lot on personal revelation, especially with a lot of the changes occuring in the church organization with a combined Elder's Quorom, and changing the home and visiting teaching programs. It is great to be able to receive the Lord's guidance in how to run His church. Oh, and for conference, we had two of our investigators attend that, and I think they had a really good experience with that.

Speaking of investigators, we got a new one this week. His name is Chu Thuong, and he seems really cool. He has been attending our English classes for a while apparently. This week, we talked with him about families and who God is. He seemed very open to it, and agreed to learn more with us. Hopefully we can continue to teach him about the gospel of Jesus Christ and how that can bless his family! Currently, we are also trying to work a lot with the branch and branch members. They have asked us to do several things including visiting members who live further away. This week, we visited Chu Hung, who lives about two hours away by bike. He is a really great person, and was happy to see us. We shared with him and his wife about prophets and how to get ready for general conference. We are also trying to work with the branch's YSA, and this last week they played "Family Feud" which was really cool, and we had several investigators attend that activity. All in all, the branch members here are doing quite well, and I am really glad to have the opprotunity to serve with them.

Besides that, I am still adjusting to living in Ho Chi Minh City. We definitely do more biking here than I did in Ha Dong, where I used to bus more. The food here is also quite good, though different. So far, I do like the food up north a bit better, but maybe with time I will come to appreciate the food down here more... It is still really good though. It is also a lot hotter and more humid down here. When you even walk out of an air conditioned room, the heat is quite extreme! Still the heat is fine, as I am used to it in Arizona.

This morning I was playing a game called dat gao, or "shuttlecock" in English, that is a popular game throughout Vietnam. It involves a small feathered object that you play with much like a hackey sack, trying to kick it to each other. Clearly I don't have much experience, though I did a little in Ha Dong, but I actually did alright. It was a lot of fun. And some lady came by and joined in our game. She was actually impressed Americans could play at all! We also were playing with some members. Well, she apparently has some kids who want to learn English, so we gave her a card about our class on Tuesdays. It would be really cool if we saw her or her child at that event! Oh, and speaking of English class, or I should say "activity", as we are not officially qualified teachers to teach a class, it has been going quite well. Though last week for the advanced class we only had one student... Still, it was a lot of fun and we taught about phone calls. We then related it to prayer in the spiritual thought, as a prayer is similar to a phone call with God, with a two way conversation. The one student was a member already, so we went into a bit more detail with her on that, and it was really good. Hopefully we get more students this week in our advanced class!

Well, I think that is most everything to mention for this week. I really am excited to be serving the Lord and His people here. Vietnam really is a special part of  the world, and I am glad to be part of the work here. Here is to going forward in faith!

Elder Watson/ Nghiem

No comments:

Post a Comment